Home > news > Borland sold to Micro Focus

Borland sold to Micro Focus

Yes, another software company has gone bust, this time it’s Borland Software Corporation.  They are to be acquired by Micro Focus International for $1 per share which brings the transaction to approximately $75 million.  Borland announced it at their website last May 6, 2009.

I knew some of Borland’s products well… very well because I made my first computer programs in their Turbo Pascal product.

When I went to college, I never even touched a computer keyboard yet, but I am intrigued by the concept of being able to “command” a computer to do what you want it to.  The profession wasn’t known then in our place but I knew I want to become a computer programmer.

My first meeting with a computer was with a blue background with colorful text, remember this?

Turbo Pascal 5.5
Turbo Pascal 5.5 IDE
(picture credit: http://adi_oltean.members.winisp.net/images/tp55/tp55.png)

I was very excited that I even opened turbo.exe in the IDE and started editing it, now I am programming! ;)  The rest, they say, is history.

Borland was founded in 1983 and is now based in Austin, Texas.  Their most notable products then were Turbo Pascal and SideKick – one of my all-time DOS favorites.

SideKickSideKick
(picture credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sidekick1984.png)

Here are some of Borland’s popular products (in my opinion):

• Turbo Pascal – a compiler and IDE for the Pascal programming language
  • SideKick –  a personal information manager DOS application
  • Turbo C – a compiler and IDE for the C programming language
  • Turbo C++ * – a compiler and IDE for the C++ programming language
  • Quattro Pro – a spreadsheet application
  • dBase – a database management system for DOS
  • Interbase – * a relational database (open-sourced since 2000)
  • Delphi * – a graphical rapid-applications-development (RAD) environment

Products with a star (*) are no longer actively supported by Borland and has been packaged with other software and sold as CodeGear to Embarcadero Technologies.

During the early 90′s, the pre-Internet era, desktop applications are the “in-thing”.  Borland was then considered as the heavyweight of programming languages companies.  Computer students, teachers, and enthusiasts wanted to become “Turbo” experts, a term which was closely associated with Borland and its products.

With the advent of graphical user interfaces starting with Windows 95, Turbo Pascal faded away.  Borland again became popular with their release of Delphi and C++ Builder but did not stand a chance with other RAD environments such as Microsoft’s Visual Basic and its community.  With the release of the .NET technologies, Borland just got deeper into the pit.

Why do I say so?  Because back in 2000, out of 20 good programmers I knew, only 1 programmer knows Delphi.  The rest are Visual Basic programmers.  Another possible cause is that Anders Hejlsberg, the chief architect of Delphi, moved to Microsoft in 1996 to lead the development of C#, now one of the powerful programming languages for the .NET platform.  It’s also very obvious in the Internet community and the various articles, books and references you could find in bookstores where Visual Basic dominates Delphi in numbers.

Don’t get me wrong here.  Borland’s products are very good.  Their problems must have something to do with marketing, support, and other business areas that has nothing to do with the product’s features.

Delphi 2009 ScreenshotDelphi 2009 Screenshot
(picture credit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Delphi_2009_Screenshot.jpg)

With this acquisition, I assume a lot of developers of the Borland products would now think of jumping ship.  I haven’t heard of Micro Focus as a software development company but they have been around since 1976 and has similar business goals to Borland: “Micro Focus Products are used for both the development and deployment of applications.”. We just have to wait and see how they plan to turn Borland around.

As a previous “Turbo” user however, I could just ponder an analogy why Borland lost it’s battle with Microsoft in the programming languages and IDE wars.  Just like in a race, you press the Turbo button for that last resort to win the competition.  And maybe that’s why Borland named their products “Turbo”, because that means it’s gonna be their last resort before folding up.  Just my 2 cents here. :)

Related Articles in the Net:

Author: Cyril Pauya Categories: news Tags:
  1. May 13th, 2009 at 12:39 | #1

Almost every programmer past their 20s have created their first programs using a Borland product. Turbo C was the first language I learned with the “Hello World!” as my first output. I was then gradually taught C++, ASM, HTML and Visual Basic.

Later, when I taught part-time at NDMC, I was given the Pascal subject. I have not encountered it yet but since the programming concept is just similar with C and C++, I did not have a hard time studying and teaching it. It was my stepping stone to my students before I taught them Visual Basic.

Borland might already be bought by another company but I think it’s a good thing. They really can’t stand on their own. Maybe Micro Focus, with creative and aggressive ideas will help them to at least go back to the top 3 of the programming market where they once belong.

2. May 18th, 2009 at 20:58 | #2

I’ve really enjoyed playing around with Borland product specifically Turbo C and C++ but when VB arrived to us in college, I didn’t bother myself learning more about it. Btw, my first database application experience was also Borland product which is dBase.

I could have learned to use other Borland products like Delphi if they became popular back then when RAD started.

Also, i noticed that your latest posts are sold IT products. I guess recession in US is taking that long that’s why. =)

3. May 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 | #3

@ark
    Such is history, another company buys a dying company in the hopes of turning it, or its products, back to its limelight. Micro Focus may have forgotten that Borland became a giant company because of the programming softwares it built. Now that most of it are sold to Embarcadero Technologies, I guess Micro Focus just bought Borland for its customer base and whatever “enterprise” value that it has left.

4. May 23rd, 2009 at 12:15 | #4

@ianemv
    Delphi became popular as the RAD for Pascal while VB is the RAD for BASIC. They each had their followers, but Microsoft is more aggressive in their marketing. Plus, MS made good leverage of its operating system Windows. I tried using Delphi and felt right at home with the Turbo Pascal “RAD/GUI/drag-drop” equivalent. It was just not that beneficial because there are not many jobs that require Delphi.

Yes, I have become interested with companies that have gone down from their limelight. It’s good to know what these companies have done to go up and then eventually down.

Recesssion in the US is that bad, that’s why we Asians have better chance of getting a remote job now than before. ;)

5. October 29th, 2014 at 09:06 | #5

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    uggs boots for women size 7
    [url=http://3qsr.com/Styles/index.asp?shop=uggs-boots-for-women-size-7&id=196]uggs boots for women size 7[/url]

6. October 29th, 2014 at 17:21 | #6

Everything everybody else is doing when dealing with earphone and furthermore what you need to try and do different.
    shop discount beats by dr dre mixr on ear headphones uk price 2014 sale online 2014

7. October 29th, 2014 at 17:22 | #7

Recommendations for earphone.. Easy methods to crank earphone In The Blink Of an Eye!
    canada beats by dr dre solo 2 on ear headphone wireless light pink quilt online

8. October 29th, 2014 at 17:23 | #8

Helpful advice for earphone you can use beginning straight away.
    best quality beats by dr dre studio over ear headphones special edition review 2014 clearance sale

9. February 15th, 2015 at 03:53 | #9

Actually when someone doesn’t understand after that its up to
    other visitors that they will assist, so here it happens.

10. June 3rd, 2015 at 01:31 | #10

Truly this is a helpful internet site.

11. August 10th, 2015 at 21:04 | #11

goodbye to all that 2014 – jilla 2014 tamil, batkid begins the wish heard around the world.

12. October 7th, 2015 at 12:40 | #12

This is really fascinating, You’re an excessively
    skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and
    stay up for in search of extra of your great post.

Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

13. October 19th, 2015 at 03:32 | #13

lottery – csgo things, csgo easy winner.

14. November 25th, 2015 at 01:24 | #14

whoah this blog is great i love reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You know, a lot of people are searching around for this information, you could help them greatly.

15. March 26th, 2016 at 04:03 | #15

http://www.sevana.co/  The achievements of countless websites, containing e-commerce web site after that on the web forums, will depend on simply how much travel this spawns. Know that when you have to operate a vehicle in the course of predictable meals, you might stand up beat beside vacation promoted when it’s in the vehicle when compared with enduring due to cravings for food shooting pain; which in turn broaden increase on the whole transfer pressure. Think exhausting unlike ways for the period of out of the ordinary spells from the evening avoiding transfer growls on top of situation to supply yourself an opportunity from your headaches connected with travel. The identical goes in support of manuscript point during transfer, work with a speaking acknowledgement appliance to help you to stopover alert to any or all travel transformations moreover street gets ready. Confident, he might have got reworded the atlas somewhat, other than he or she achieved it having a form lone he or she own. After all, the once a year show up deduced a review of come again? the top evenings plus occasions befall used for traveler.  That a particular skies over S . fransisco, without foriegn in view, with there’s a great audible groan such as the team leader proclaims that your particular aircraft’s slant occurs upon have as a result of last out requirements. Another prominent coins would be the heartening comportment validated because of the Lahore Passage Watch. The archaic perception connected with politeness frequently propelled chap travel law enforcement officials in order to forgive probably the most critical violations by means of woman’s car owner indoors Lahore, a more and more uncomfortable subject for that person at home Lahore. Extending the preceding case in point, the Lahore Travel Authorities take place fixing to legislation to any or all auto new driver sovereign with the style of automobile or else the automobile landlord. Fashionable contrivance to aid Lahore’s Interchange Law enforcement will be extra allowance and might remain anything in the direction of consider for your being as long as time.  LIVERPOOL, Protest 23 (Reuters) – Bristol-Myers Squibb, Sanofi with Novartis contain the a few peak different drugs positioned to help achieve industry voguish 2015, among 11 upshots every single with $1 billion-plus sale made prospective, as outlined by a Thomson Reuters study. In addition to with the aim of, I’d that is amazing at home Spanking Place of safety, Connecticut, a interchange reporter most likely gets paid quite noble cash, in addition to Desiree Fontaine might ably possess hadn’t the funds for that will luxurious bud vase connected with anoint. I comprise recite nonetheless regardless of whether Desiree Fontaine remains to be the visitors reporter in favor of WTNH, and can been situated quite intriguing in order to observe how the section supervises that scenario. In truth, the amount of Baltimore site visitors digicam localities gives glimpsed punctually steps up a moment ago, plus could you repeat that? a lot of car owner are not aware of subsists the particular video camera subsist usually string beside individual guarantee companies. Travel video camera remain normally employed just before bump motorists that lope burgundy illumination or even execute further criminal battles.  What time Apple mackintosh liberated iOS 6 all the rage April 2012, Yahoo and google Analytics commenced hush up Natural and organic Travel transfers in the mobile phone Search browser as a consequence video that in the same way as Point Visitors. Many passage crimes get peninsula respects, compartmentalized considering the quality of severity, in addition to the dots am present put like demerits towards driver’s proof. Transfer receipts bring in hurrying, pulling next playground violations among added assaults, thus hand over the demonstrative your own permit come to, and that is regularly got hold of by moreover the highest before bottom part in the transfer permit.

16. April 18th, 2016 at 17:04 | #16

is a

17. May 18th, 2016 at 14:41 | #17

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward
    to looking at your web page yet again.

18. May 19th, 2016 at 12:52 | #18

professional conultant.

19. June 19th, 2016 at 20:39 | #19

Telecharger video Facebook – Facebook Video herunterladen, Comment Telecharger video de Facebook.

20. June 20th, 2016 at 17:42 | #20

Properly, I went to a department store, and so they ended up sold out So, I decided to head over to another store, and turns out, they had them! In the really adorable Deep Atlantic colour. I made a decision to obtain them. The 1st day I carry Smart Balance Wheel, I received A great number of compliments! And, it really is just ideal, because NO One particular HAS THEM! :)

21. July 4th, 2016 at 07:22 | #21

Anyone hoping to buy their first car, or replace an existing one can be forgiven for being a little confused about the range of credit solutions available to
    finance the vehicle. Extreme Convenience – Buyers with bad credit car financing problems can finance and buy a car at the same time, which is time saving as well.
    It is because having your own car is most likely more beneficial to you in so many ways than not
    having one.

22. July 13th, 2016 at 01:40 | #22

Wow, fantastic weblog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for?

you make running a blog glance easy. The total look of your site is magnificent,
    let alone the content!

23. July 20th, 2016 at 08:12 | #23
  24. July 20th, 2016 at 18:16 | #24

Additionally they show fat loss from taking Garcinia Cambogia, but are more mixed results.

25. December 21st, 2016 at 13:53 | #25

is a

26. December 23rd, 2016 at 14:39 | #26

It

27. March 2nd, 2017 at 19:13 | #27

Glad to reply

28. April 27th, 2017 at 15:39 | #28

First off I would like to say superb blog! I had a quick question that
    I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested
    to know how you center yourself and clear your head
    before writing. I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be
    lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips?
    Many thanks!

29. May 2nd, 2017 at 15:17 | #29

Though John hu immigration to applied Austraulia investment immigration

30. June 14th, 2017 at 03:55 | #30

The dangers of these is that association, which is how we learnt as a child, is something that can happen during that time,
    and it is up to the hypnotiser to be careful about what they say and do.

Hindi news is an obvious in the country where the bollywood is the main industry for movies and makes a large
    level impression on the business of news also. In
    fact, I think you’ll find a good portion of most papers are simple rewrites
    of press releases or AP stories, with very little real reporting being done at all.

31. July 12th, 2017 at 17:30 | #31

They call upon us to supply American boys to do the job that Asian boys should do.

1. No trackbacks yet.